Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Diet

Sometimes my dad leaves articles on my sink- a subtle prompt, a whisper ("be intellectual, remy!). This morning I took the bait. The article was entitled "6 Items or Less" and it was about giving one's self a clothing diet, wearing 6 items or less for a full month. My interest was piqued. After all, I have heaps of clothing that I both loathe and fear. I can't even bring myself to unfold for anxiety of what's waiting in those piles. The trouble is that at core, I'm not a minimal girl. Don't get me wrong, I favor a white t-shirt and jeans over most else but I like the promise of being chic, being inimitable, being me, and that sometimes calls for blue suede shoes, a sequined vest, a pair of shorts from mom's closet. I'd like to detox in every way possible (eat salads, drink tea, wear a turban and stick my face over a pot of boiling water) but at this juncture, I can't do it. I haven't riffled through the stacks and found the perfect sweater and I haven't smoothed out my heel walk. Were I to strip down to 6 items for a full month, I worry I'd lose that crucial process of becoming. The clothes don't make the man but that fur jacket never hurt.

Speaking of clothes, what am I going to wear for FT opening night? Send suggestions my way.

4 comments:

  1. Eek don't do a clothing diet! I see the appeal because I in fact thought I'd want to do that when I went to Scotland. Peel away from closet to get to the bare, wonderful essentials. Yeah, no. About a month in I had my mother send me a care package with a few more shirts and another dress (which ended up costing me a fortune to get past customs, those bastards), that on top of buying a few skirts and shirts there and still I was not sated. I could count the number of articles of clothes on my fingers and toes and call me middle class but it just wasn't enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. read that article to. Love the idea but ouldnt ever do it. As it is I'm lusting after that cashmere v neck from jcrew..who cares how many I already have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The obvious answer Rem is....Doc Dentons!!

    ReplyDelete