Friday, September 17, 2010

Duende

Justin Vernon of Bon Iver fame has a new gig called Gayngs. In their jam 'spanish platinum' a disembodied voice sings I keep my wings taped down/ and my heart in a jar. I've been thinking that over. When college ends and the bubble bursts am I going to tape my wings down and put my heart, my true desires, on the shelf? Or am I going to be bold? I have a cozy little nest egg and starry eyed resolutions but what am I going to do with myself? My one true passion is writing; I'm excited each morning to cook my half-baked revelations. I want to express myself in cataclysmic, spontaneous, eloquent mode, and I'm eager to move into new vistas. I want immortality through creativity. Someone is rolling their eyes right now and guess what, I see you! Look, ok, I know I'm a dreamer. The future is uncertain and the economy is unkind but with this unrelenting optimism, I feel like maybe it will all work itself out. Last August I saw a church sign proclaiming "the grace and hope mission" and that's what I'm all about. I'm hopeful though never graceful. But maybe words will get me there- to that place where wings fall open and cut the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment