Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Technologic

A certain tobacco-toothed teacher informed me that my generation is the most empowered ever. It's the Information Age! he proclaimed. You're empowered by the knowledge circulating in the air! You can learn anything and everything! Go go go! I suddenly felt guilty. It's year four of college and what do I have to show for it? Let's see. I'm versed in hang-over remedies (coconut water), moving swiftly through BWI airport security (shoes with no laces), and speed reading. My interest has been piqued here and there but, in truth, I'm not sure that I'm a smarter girl than when I arrived at Johnny Hop three autumns ago. Maybe I'm being hard on myself. Maybe I'm having a half-baked existential crisis brought on by too much coffee and too much Pinter. I think not. As I approach graduation, my relentless optimism and interest in all things magical needs to wed itself to practical knowledge and know how. In the spirit of this, I skipped through the library and checked out all of the volumes that interested me. It was the Summer of Yes--> now onto the Autumn of Ideas. If I want to be more culturally savvy, more informed, a better cocktail party compatriot, I need to step up my game. It's now or never.

No comments:

Post a Comment