Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fever Dreams

Mr. J and I partook of a few Honeymoon beers and walked underneath trees that spilled over onto the greasy street below. We said goodnight and I brushed my teeth hastily before getting into bed. Perhaps I should have rinsed the Honeymoon out of my mouth more thoroughly because it seems that the sweet beer coated my teeth and sent my brain waves dancing. I had this incredibly vivid dream. I was imprisoned for a crime I didn't do and promptly assaulted a guard. I booked it out of the prison and I hailed a cab in my regulation garb. I took shelter from the rain in the backseat of an Indian cab. I scrutinized the cabbie, did he know me? The radio crackled and popped in his pleather dash and we sped through the night, only stopping at a convenient store. I went to the airport and got on a plane, headed for anywhere, hoping to escape for all time. I woke up, shivering, with aching arms, so relieved it was only a dream. I felt focused, happy about real life, and all I was accountable for. Perhaps I had this dream because J and I discussed the Himalayas and eating sweet Indian fruit or maybe the fever dream was incurred because I needed to appreciate my carefree days. Either way, you best believe I brushed my teeth thoroughly this morning and decided against stripes.

1 comment: