Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Meet Me Halfway

I just watched Thelma and Louise and I have to tell you, I'm dying for a road trip. I loved most everything about the film: the bedazzled levi jeans, the canyons, the smoking, the drinking, the tanned leather skin, the convertible, the diners, the explosions, the tumbleweeds. I want all of it. It's a classic film, I'm delayed in my appreciation, I know I know. It was just so much more than I bargained for. I couldn't help but imagine myself, driving down a dusty road with my partner in crime, a gun in the glove compartment and Chris Whitley playing from a boombox in the sky. I've never lived in the south so maybe I'm idealizing it. A bottle of cuervo and a map might not be all that interesting. It's not that I'm longing for a cheap motel room and brad pitt in a cowboy hat, seducing me and then stealing my cash from a paper bag, though let's get real: that would be nice. It's more the idea of stolen adventure and a mexican sun, burning spicy hot and waiting for me. One of these days, I'm going to pack a bottle of jack and a straw hat and some apples and take to the open road. It's an experience that everyone needs: a high way to speed along and a friend to clasp hands with. And maybe a dirty explosion or two along the way.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. road trip to austin? sans murder and that jazz

    ReplyDelete
  3. lets drive away and listen to bsb and gaga across the usa

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Poe birthday guy may well have taken his last road trip. He was a no show this week in the graveyard downtown; so the next morning you're feeling like Linus in the pumpkin patch. No cognac...no roses...60 years of tradition that no one every REALLY captured other than in imagination. Tick Tock Tick Tock

    ReplyDelete