Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You're Super

su·pe·ri·or (s-pîr-r)
adj.
1. Higher than another in rank, station, or authority: a superior officer.
2. Of a higher nature or kind.
3. Of great value or excellence; extraordinary.
4. Greater in number or amount than another: an army defeated by superior numbers of enemy troops.
5. Affecting an attitude of disdain or conceit; haughty and supercilious.
6. Above being affected or influenced; indifferent or immune: "Trust magnates were superior to law" (Gustavus Myers).
7. Located higher than another; upper.
8. Botany Inserted or situated above the perianth. Used of an ovary.
9. Printing Set above the main line of type.
10. Logic Of wider or more comprehensive application; generic. Used of a term or proposition.
n.
1. One that surpasses another in rank or quality.
2. Ecclesiastical The head of a religious community, such as a monastery, abbey, or convent.
3. Printing A superior character, as the number 2 in x2.

America is superior, or fancies itself so. I see it as a malnourished but sixteen foot tall engorgement of lips and cars and fluorescent lightbulbs and flaking skin. America is keeping me awake at night. I went to Target this morning and could barely open my eyes in the brightness of so many products. In the same place where I could buy insect repellent and nail polish, I could also purchase a ball gown or scuba gear. It's out of control. Exit the Target parking lot and you're faced with Joann Fabrics, and Starbucks, and Circuit City, and SUVS to swallow you whole after running you into bits. I'm drinking green tea as I write this, in the hopes of calming my ass down, but it's not working. Everything is supersize, operating on a mega scale, plastic and unearthly. Nobody needs scented candles and socks for the Alps. Who invented this ridiculousness. I'm buying a house with an eggplant garden and posting up. See yaaz later.

No comments:

Post a Comment