Monday, March 15, 2010

Disappear

I fell down the rabbit hole tonight. We3 ventured into the world of 3D, glasses tinted and popcorn buttered. Alice In Wonderland was just as gaudy and delightful as I had hoped. Maybe it was the funky shades or maybe it was the sensation of free fall, of letting yourself be swept up in the sublime. (Although let's get real, I'm always ready for that). The movie was over the top amazing: tulle dresses and victorian shoes, white powder and glowing mists, the cheshire cat and the broken tea pots, Johnny Depp's heartbreaking lisp and the feeling of soaring through the air. It was magic. The Queen of Hearts has a special place in my heart. When I was 7 or 8, I was fiending to be Belle for halloween. I wanted her satin ball gown, the one with the scalloped bottom that went down in waves. Anyway, mom and I waited until the last second and the store was sucked dry. The only costume left? The Queen of Hearts. So there I was, with hearts drawn on my cheeks, bad hair, and a fat lil body packed into the card suit. I resented the costume. I wanted to be feminine, hot, debonaire in my ball gown. Instead, I was the cream filling. Having said that, it makes for a telling tale and it marks the beginning of my love for the scorned. The Queen of Hearts is bad. Her heart is undoubtedly shrunken and putrid, like rotten fruit. But. She has a charisma that comes from sticking to her guns and hey, it's admirable. My adventure into 3D was totally satisfying and the drive home with Pete and Mare and Justin Bieber capped it off. I'm waiting for my rabbit hole or maybe I'm falling down it all the time. Reality is crazy, baby, oh oh ohh.

No comments:

Post a Comment