Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Natural Appetites

Lately, I've been ravenous. I've been hungry for everything: sleep and nutrition and reality and a good book and the future. I went to the grocery store and there I stood, mesmerized by the beans and rice in aisle two, until a clerk looked at me with concern. Was I alright? Oh, fine, just fine. I took my apples and cheddar home and fell upon the groceries, delighted. Why the appetite? Hunger is like this: consuming and inconvenient. As we get older, sometimes we fear our appetites will diminish. After all, who can thirst when there is work to be done and paper to be shuffled. When I was in Rome, my hunger diminished. In the land of food, I didn't want food. I was over stimulated and energized but I felt myself full after a bite of pasta or a glass of wine. Now, I'm lusting. I've had fever dreams, jumping out of bed, anxious for water and life to begin. It's irritating but comforting. It's a reminder of my own humanity, of the needs that make me whole. Tonight, the roommates and I baked some chocolate chip cookies and as the wind blew forth, we sat licking the bowl, and talking about the past. The summer is looming, and graduation is lurking, and the apple about to be plucked, and we're stressed. It's a feverish time and we're unprepared but we're hungry. How we feed ourselves is the crucial distinction.

1 comment:

  1. Alas, there is no entropy in the east. The snow constipates and we hunker down in our houses built into the side of the hill, hoping not to bang our heads on the three and a half foot ceiling. And we eat, and crepusculate in an all together (literally all together... the kind of thing that doesn't happen in San Diego or L.A. There everyone is spinning, like Andromeda, outward and god forbid that you would ever see the same body twice between Santa Anas) oh yes, liver grey and unappetizing way. Then the sun comes back. We we pull the lever on the winter life's vortex and stick a piece of sweet green grass twixt our teeth. Amen

    ReplyDelete